Friday, October 22, 2010

In the Kitchen: Sweet Start to the Weekend

To follow up yesterday's post on confidence and food - and knowing when and where to indulge, here's a bit of sweetness to start your weekend off right.  One of the baked goods I featured in my baking & brunching post, this coffee cake recipe is perfect for a chilly Sunday morning (with a bit of yogurt and fruit to balance out your breakfast) or as a little afternoon treat.  It's my grandmother's infamous recipe and thus, I hand it down with love and care.  I used my new, no fuss Breville stand mixer to whip it up in light-speed time before brunch-goers arrived.  
Here's to a warm and cozy weekend! 
  


Sour Cream Coffee Cake
12-14 slices

nut mixture
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1 tbsp. white sugar
1.5 tsp. cinnamon
batter
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs 
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350.  In the bowl of a stand mixer or a regular mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in vanilla and lemon juice. Whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add flour mixture to egg-sugar mixture and blend in sour cream. Pour half of the batter into a buttered loaf pan and sprinkle the brown sugar-nut mixture over top.  Add the remaining half of the batter.  Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
the Breville stand mixer...clean and simple baking

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you like the Breville better than a Kitchenaid?
I am thinking of getting a new mixer - can you do bread?
Best-
Greg

Marissa Lippert said...

Hi Greg! I actually have both a Kitchenaid (a lovely hand-me-down from my mother) and the Breville. They're both excellent but the Breville seems slightly easier to use/clean.