Friday, February 20, 2009

Newsworthy nibblings

I may have mentioned this before, but I have a strange thing for bald men (don't ask me why). Well, clean-shaven Top Chef judge and esteemed chef, Tom Colicchio is no exception in that grouping. His focus on fresh, seasonal cooking and really honoring the food we eat is quite inspiring and I'm a big fan of his restaurants in NYC and his cookbook as I've blogged about in the past. Yesterday, Tara Parker Pope of the NY Times posted a Q&A session with Colicchio himself on the topic of kids and healthy eating ("Even Top Chefs Have Picky Kids"). I love that Colicchio talks about his own teenage son and the challenges (and victories!) he faces in raising a healthful, good eater. It's all about balance, setting healthy patterns when kids are young, and serving up really well-prepared, fresh food. When asked what restaurants should be doing to promote healthy eating, here's what Colicchio had to say:
What chefs can do when it comes to getting the word out is have people understand food differently. If food is well sourced and well prepared, I don’t think the word healthy needs to be brought into it. It’s healthy because it’s wholesome. That’s what we should focus on. You can buy a box of low-fat macaroni and cheese made with powdered nonsense. I’m not worried if I’m using four different cheeses and it’s high in fat. It’s real food. That’s what’s more important.

Tom Colicchio, along with Rachael Ray and Tara Parker-Pope will be participating in a panel this weekend at the Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival titled - "Beyond Chicken Nuggets: How to Raise a Healthy Eater."
Photo credit: Tom Colicchio (Bill Bettencourt/Bloomberg News)

Another great article in the news this week..."Sweeteners: Real Aid or Excuse to Indulge?" Health columnist Jane E. Brody unravels the truths and misconceptions about artificial sweeteners in the U.S. Most of you already know my opinion...the less the better. The article hits on the point I frequently bring to light -- overcompensating on calories when noncaloric sweeteners are high in our diet, so essentially intaking more calories (when you're actually trying to curb them) because your body doesn't register the fake stuff, isn't satisfied and seeks out additional food. And just like that, welcome to the world of unintentional weight gain. The article's a great overview on sweeteners, looking at the biological and psychological factors -- check it out.
Lastly, while I'm on the topic of Glamour magazine this week (see my earlier post), I thought it'd be fitting to mention this article on sleep on weight loss that was featured in the mag's March issue, "Lose Weight While You Sleep". Oh yeah, I've touched on this snoozy subject again and again because...it's really freaking important! Consistent sleep deprivation = screwed up hunger-satiety hormone levels = increased refined carb and sugar cravings = you got it...weight gain. Not so fun, wouldn't you rather be sleeping? I sure as hell would. Granted, I realize life is hectic and crazy and I often wish there were 36 hours in the day, but it is absolutely important to figure out how much shut-eye your body requires to perform at optimal speed. Sleep expert, Dr. Michael Breus is quoted in the article and recommends no less than 7.5 hours per night. If you're looking to lose a few without much effort and increase energy, sleep is the big secret...beauty rest at its best.

No comments: