Thursday, February 11, 2010

Dreaming of somewhere warm...a Mediterranean-inspired meal


As much as I love pretty white blankets of snow, I am O-V-E-R this cold weather (and so is my pale, sun-deprived skin). While the snow steadily fell yesterday, I sat on my couch planning out a long-awaited vacation (too bad it's not until May!) tossing ideas around of Greece, Italy or Turkey and dreaming of warmer weather and anything that involves me on a beach. To further the fantasy, I decided to create some sort of Mediterranean dinner with whatever I had lying around in the fridge, clearly I wasn't about to trek out to the grocery store. So here's what I came up--light, easy, warm and flavorful for a cold evening at home...and all dressed up on a graphic Turkish serving dish. *Disclaimer: I realize that there are tomatoes and red bell peppers in the dish, and that they're not in season...I attempt to buy just about everything seasonally and as much from the farmers market as I can, but deviating from the norm on occasion won't kill anyone.

Roast Chicken with Tomatoes, Red Peppers & Onions
serves 2 to 4

1 lb bone-in, skin-on chicken breast
3 small tomatoes, quartered
1 1/2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
Turkish spice blend (like baharat) or hot pepper/red pepper flakes to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Arrange chicken, tomatoes, peppers, onions and garlic in roasting pan or glass dish.
Add in chicken broth and wine. Season with thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
Roast for 40-45 minutes, basting halfway through.

before

after

No comments: