Friday, April 2, 2010

The Weekend Guide: What's Cooking

Shop :: Spring has most definitely sprung -- 70s and sunny this weekend! Get outside to a farmers market and make the most of the spring produce that's just started coming in....ramps, spring garlic, spring onions, watercress, fennel, asparagus and more. Here's what's on tap at greenmarkets around NYC or find a farmers market in your hood - www.localharvest.org. Follow the Union Square greenmarket on Twitter - @unsqgreenmarket

Eat :: Northern Spy | 511 E. 12th St. NYC
Speaking of seasonal springtime eating...head over to see my guys in the E. Village at Northern Spy. Nathan's cooking up a ridiculously delicious (and chic looking) grilled spring garlic salad with hardboiled egg and shallot dressing. For your second course, try the clam and flounder chowder with fish fresh from the U. Sq. greenmarket. A light broth with just a touch of cream, adorned with cippolini onions, snap peas and sweet potatoes and finished off with watercress puree. I mean...A-MAZING. I realize that my pics below taken with my Blackberry (all I had on-hand) do neither dish any justice! I'm in desperate need of a new camera - please let me know your suggestions if you have them!


Cook :: Use up all those goodies you bought at the greenmarket and celebrate the Easter holiday (or simply a sunny Sunday) by gathering with friends and/or family for a great home-cooked meal. That's what I'll be doing (recipes to follow). I'm pondering a fresh fennel salad with citrus, herbs and tangy ricotta salata, but we'll see what ends up developing. Stay tuned...
(photo: House Beautiful)

No comments: